Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fresh Red Beets


I went to the market this morning and couldn't resist buying a bunch of fresh red beets. I boiled the three ruby red orbs and cooked the beet tops separately. The red beets will be used as a side dish or added to my salad. Cooking the beet tops were new for me, so I cleaned the leaves thoroughly, tore the leaves into bite size pieces, added them to salted boiled water and cooked until tender. I drained the green leaves and added chili vinegar sauce for an added kick. Yum.

Beet root is a source of folate, manganese and potassium. The beet tops provides vitamin A and iron.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beets are yummy! Have you ever had them raw??? Francisco's mom grates them thin. Add a little bit of oil and vinegar if you like for some kick, but otherwise ono plain. Try it!
Also with the tops I once cooked them with some red wine as well. Tasted like lu'au.

Unknown said...

Melisa, thanks for the feedback. I haven't had the beets raw but I am willing to do that too. I should buy some rubber gloves if I grate the beets or my hands are going to discolor. Last night I used two grocery plastic bags to remove the skin. It was clumsy but served it's purpose.

I like that red wine tip. Aloha Melisa. kel